Thursday, March 17, 2011

What a Week..

The girls and I have had a pretty good week.  We have managed to find something to do every day like lunch with friends and family, seeing Gnomeo and Juliet, two movies at home, the jumpy place and a whole bunch of being outside.  I would say all in all it has been a fun and easy spring break.

Except for one day.  For those of you who know me personally you know how "sensitive" I am.  I don't cry all the time but I get my feelings hurt pretty easy.  I also (unfortunately) am not real good at taking criticism.  My dad used to fuss at me and tell me I needed to toughen up.  And while I agree and I have tried I am just not tough.

But this week my sensitive side was showing for a whole different reason.  It was all because of my love of my pets.  Many of you will remember my sweet little hamster Daisy.
I really, really liked that little "rat".  You would not think you could get that attached to something so small but I really did. REALLY. She was the easiest pet I have ever owned.  And I guess you can tell that since I am talking in the past tense that she is no longer here.

Monday night I picked her up and was petting her and I noticed a lump on her stomach.  Of course I did what you are not suppose to do and I researched the internet.  The only thing I could find was cancer and infection.  So I made the appointment and took her to the exotic vet.  I was really hoping for the infection.  My brother's hamster Coco had a lump on her face and it was just that, an infection.  She was treated and good as new in about a week.  But when the Dr. looked and at me and said that is was not an infection that it was cancer I got so upset.   My options were surgery to remove the lump, take her home and watch the lump grow and her become sick or leave her there.  Well I knew that surgery was out of the question.  That would cost way to much and the Dr. said that there was a 50/50 chance she would develop another lump.  And if I brought her home the lump would continue to grow larger and larger until it really started to affect her and her quality of life. I did not feel like that was an option either.  I could not let the girls see her get like that and ultimately I would probably just end up back at the vet.  So I decided to leave her there and let the Doctor take "care" of her.  It was so hard for me and yes I cried the whole way home.  And I cried when I told the girls that night but I was much better until....

I got this in the mail.  I had no idea that they were going to send this to me.  It was such a sweet thought but it got me all upset again.  Now I realize that I am talking about a hamster and I promise I am not obsessing over it.  But like a good friend of mine said you blog about the good and the bad.

Of course the girls were sad too.  But like most children they bounced back much faster than us sensitive adults.  So they are already asking for another hamster.  Although, I am not ready for another one Daddy Bear tells me I really need to get another one for the girls.  I said fine, but if the next one develops a lump he is the one making the trip to the vet.  So we may or may not have another hamster in the near future.

1 comment:

Nana said...

I'm so sorry...pets become a part of the family. I'm thankful she had your family to love her.